Sunday, November 7, 2010

Quarter 1 Reflection.

 Ahhhhh! Quarter 1 went by so fast. I feel I am learning so much every day from literature, so far this year.  Before this class, when I thought of Literature I thought of long boring stories. After just one semester in AP Literature, my mindset on literature has changed. Literature is not just boring words on a page that someone wrote because they had nothing better to do. The study of literature is important. Literature exposes me to new ideas, it causes me to think.

Reading can be a very easy task when you are engaged in the material. My strength in reading is that I actually love to annotate so I can really understand the key concepts of the material. This can be a very good strength during timed exams, such as the AP Lit exam. My weakness in reading is that sometimes when I’m not interested in the material I can breeze through and not remember half of what I read. My reading goal for next quarter is to think of the bigger picture in the text, like the diff. themes and literary devices. I have to spot them. This quarter I was truly surprised how much I enjoyed what we read about. I didn't know we would have such plays as Oedipus Rex. 

Writing used to be my least favorite part of any English class. This quarter I started to enjoy writing because of the process that led to our writing. Breaking things such as the Socratic Seminars down into intervals really helped me develop a great paper. My writing goal for next quarter is to really take my time on my pre-write. This quarter while writing I grew in the area of catchy opening statements. While doing the opener part of my Oedipus Rex paper, I had fun and thought of four attractive openers in no time at all. This quarter the process of our Socratic seminars, and outline helped me become a better writer.

No comments:

Post a Comment